Monday 10 March 2014

"Discovering Nature" Illustration Workshop


"Discovering Nature" Illustration Workshop.
Highland Pipe Band Rooms, Recreation Centre, Motueka.
Tuesdays 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th July, and 12th August 2014.
6pm-9pm
$120 (plus materials like paper, coloured pencils, watercolours etc)

Even when we have taken ourselves off for a tramp up the mountain, or a day spent at a beach in the Abel Tasman national park, do we ever take the time to stop and really have a good look at the minute details in a shell, piece of bone or plant?

This workshop is a chance to allow yourself the time to explore nature and its many wonders, through drawing and painting. The medium will be watercolour and coloured pencil, eventuating in a concertina book. Although the class will be structured, I would like to emphasize that the drawing needn’t be, as it is also a discovery of your own style and interpretation.

It is with great pleasure that I introduce to you Kim Ireland. Kim is a talented illustrator who has devised a fantastic illustration workshop based around discovering nature. Using subject matter such as bugs, animals, skeletons, and shells, Kim will help you to hone your eye to the subtleties of tone, colour and form found in the natural world.
 
This image is from the book Natural History Painting with the Eden Project by Rosie Martin & Meriel Thurstan, Batsford, UK (2009).

Martin & Thurstan
This painting is by Jessica Mack, from http://blog.brownpaperbunny.com
This painting is by Elena from, http://community.how-to-draw-and-paint.com/
At the end of this series of five workshops, participants will have a collection of drawings and watercolours which they will then incorporate into their own handmade concertina display book.

Martin & Thurstan


"I have been drawing since I was 8 years old and have been passionate ever since. My love of art saw me through my school years in England, from G.C.S.E to my A levels, where I studied Fine Art/English and History of Art. I then found myself back in the Southern hemisphere, and continued my education with a Certificate in Fine Art and a Diploma of Illustration in Melbourne. Throughout my years of drawing, I have always found myself fascinated by nature, especially bugs and their amazing structure. I think through drawing you can really begin to understand the intricacies and complexities of the world around us."


Kim Ireland





No comments:

Post a Comment